Wednesday, October 21, 2009

If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always gotten...


I decided to shake things up a little.  My workouts seemed like they were becoming a little less effective, mostly because I wasn't as sore as I had been a few weeks ago when I started really working out hardcore.  Now I know that soreness isn't necessarily an indication of effectiveness, but I knew that I needed to cross train more than I was.  I decided that I would try out a spinning class - partly because they seem to be super fun and also because my extremely fit cousin recommended them.  So I'll set the scene for you:  Monday rolls around and I'm all excited for this whole spinning idea to help with cross training.  The class is at 6 pm and I had to run a few errands for my mom in the afternoon beforehand.  Well wouldn't you know that my super awesome boat of a car had to go and bust two tie rods right in the middle of the mall parking lot, leaving my vehicle stuck with tires pointing in all different directions and unable to move.  Let me tell you, the old ladies trying to get a prime parking spot on their way to the JCPenney styling salon were none too pleased.  So after making a few phone calls, I get the car towed to my garage.  At this point, I'm a little irritated and flustered, but I'm still really looking forward to this class.  I figure that I will use it as a bit of an escape from the day's craziness.  I borrow my mom's car and make it to the gym right on time for spinning.  As luck would have it, there was one bike left in the last row, which was perfect since this was my first time and I wanted to be able to see what the honor-roll spinners in the front row were doing.  We get started pedaling and I'm thinking "Yeah, this is nice - a brisk bike ride with fun music, awesome!"  And then the warm up is over and what I would describe as the most vomit-inducing 45 minutes of my life began.  It was painful and horrible and torturous.  My legs burned with the fire of a million suns.  I can't even count how many times four-letter words came into my head.  The entire time all my legs wanted to do was stop - immediately - and walk out of this nightmare that I had gotten them into.  Maybe a year ago, or even a few months ago, I would have grabbed my towel and snuck out like a kid trying to bust out of detention.  But my head and my heart just would not let that happen.  I was going to get through the entire class - come hell or high water (or, more appropriately, come puking or passing out.)  There was absolutely no way I was going to let the pain beat me.  I have too many goals and have worked my butt off too hard to let anything beat me.  And I did it - I kept going and finished the class.  If I wasn't on the verge of being physically ill/crying, I would have given myself a pat on the back.  Of course, just like any new, high energy workout, I'm sore and being reminded constantly that there are a million little muscles that I never knew existed.

I can't wait to go back.

Yes, you heard that right.  I got such a high from pushing myself way beyond what I thought I was able to do that I just want to do it again.  ...although maybe not right away, I'm still sore...

AND (cue drumroll), I have my first practice with my new coach Kristen on Friday!  I'm way pumped for that and can't wait to really get to work on technique and strength in the pool.  I will be sure to update after practice!

xoxo
L

Also, a Happy Birthday shout-out to my brother Vinnie who turns 26 today!  He's out in Austin, TX livin' the dream - hope you have an awesome day bro!

1 comment:

  1. I really like Zumba too- it's a lot of fun and high energy. Sounds similar to that spin class.

    ReplyDelete