Thursday, September 24, 2009

One day in plus motivation...

Ok kids, first day of reporting.  Nothing particularly noteworthy in the workout column - did an hour on the elliptical and topped it off with 100 crunches.  I took it a little easier today, since I kicked my own butt yesterday with core work.  Tomorrow I'm planning on more core exercises and pool time.  My workouts in the pool are what I need the most guidance on.  I mostly focus on kicking and building endurance, but I know I need help with stroke technique and turns.  I've been in the pool working on this for a while now, so I think I'm to the point where I need a professional to evaluate and critique my skills (or lack thereof).  There are a number of swimming videos out there, and I have studied a few in order to learn some of the core elements to each stroke and I try to work on those points when I get in the pool.  If anyone out there has any tips/suggestions on improving sans-coach, I would be very interested in learning.  I do plan on getting a coach eventually - in fact, I was 'shopping around' right about the time that the company I was working for shut their doors.  No job = no dollas = no coach.  However, my current coach-less situation really isn't as terrible as it may seem.  I am putting most of my focus on dryland - getting in shape and working on my endurance is of top priority.  Being in top physical form is crucial for me.  Once I achieve some semblance of fitness, the hunt for a coach will become more important.

I also wanted to share with my readers (of which I hear there are a few of, so thank you very much!!) a really awesome blog that I came across recently.  It is authored by Garrett Weber-Gale, an Olympic gold medalist and a fantastic writer.  When I first came upon it, I had to read it twice, that's how much I connected with what he was saying.  The points that he makes can apply to so many facets of life - I really hope you enjoy it as much as I did:  Garrett Weber-Gale's blog "How to Turn Disappointment into Positive Outlook  

xoxo
L

2 comments:

  1. We're kind of on this journey together! LOL!
    Is there a masters team in your area?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds good to me Caren! Let me know how things are going with you! Yes, there are quite a few Masters teams here. I'm trying to work on my dryland fitness and endurance before doing the team thing. Also, I am still looking for a job, so I need that before I can ante up any sort of fees for Masters swimming. Thanks for the comment!
    L

    ReplyDelete