Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Drill review

A quick recap of three drills that I practiced last night at the pool:

This first drill I did on Friday with my coach.  She had me doing the Shoulder Pop to concentrate on getting my shoulders out of the water and getting a better feel for a more effective body roll.  Nothing fancy here, pretty sure every swimmer has done this one - gets the job done though.


Next is another drill that is a tried-and-true component of most swimmers' practices.  The Double Arm drill is especially helpful for over-reachers like me - and it has really worked well for me so far in getting my arms in the correct position for starting my pull.


The last drill that I worked on last night was the 4 Back 3 Free Catch.  When I first saw this drill, I was a little hesitant to try it because I wasn't sure I would be able to do it properly and thus not get the benefit from the drill.  However, I gave it a try last night and I not only did it well, I liked it a lot!  This is a fun one (I think), and was super helpful in mentally connecting the pulls of the free and back.  If you haven't done this before, I highly recommend giving it a try in your next practice!



Thanks to GoSwim.tv for the videos and instructions of these drills.  Check them out for tons more drills and practice sets!

No comments:

Post a Comment